We make house calls!
We can bring this course to you and run it for a fixed all-inclusive fee no matter where you are. All you have to do is provide the delegates and the meeting room.
Next scheduled course
We schedule this course based on demand. If you want to attend a public course, click on the button below. Once we get 8 like-minded individuals we'll schedule a course and let you know.
Overview: Contextual inquiry: how to plan, execute and analyse a site visit
Field studies are invaluable when you need to understand first-hand how users work or behave, the kinds of tasks users carry out and the variety of environments in which users operate. Real-world observation provides insights that user self reports or surveys can't provide - often because users can't explain what they are doing or because their behaviour is so practised that users can't articulate how they work.
But carrying out a field study has a number of difficulties. How do you select the right users? When should you observe and when should you ask questions? How do you collect observational data and how do you analyse it to improve your design?
"An excellent course, thoroughly enjoyable. The data analysing method was particularly interesting."
– Philip Merrifield, ITW Finishing.
About your trainer
This seminar is led by Dr. David Travis, the author of E-Commerce Usability. David has more than 20 years experience in the field of user centred design and has delivered over 100 seminars in usability for a range of private and public sector organisations. He has carried out contextual inquiry for a range of clients, including Orange, Yahoo! and RBS.
This seminar is aimed at
This course is for you if you are part of a design team that wants to develop a new software application or that wants to identify new features for an existing application. This is a hands-on course and is most effective for delegates who have day-to-day responsibility for product design.
You will learn how to
- Collect rich, detailed data that will help you gain a holistic view of users and their tasks.
- Learn how to project a professional image to clients and customers.
- Target the right kind of users for potential site visits.
- Develop field study forms and checklists to quickly and accurately record observations.
- Practise techniques like KJ Analysis to quickly analyse observational data.
What delegates say about this seminar
- "Having a proper process for planning and implementing a field study (rather than an ad hoc turn-up-and-ask-questions approach) means I can present a more professional image."
- "I learnt the importance of observation and good questioning — and accurately recording what is said and done."
- "I now feel confident preparing for a site visit and asking the right kinds of questions."
What do I get when I book this course?
- 1 day training course with a usability expert.
- Practical checklists, worksheets and extensive notes to take home.
- 24/7 support to help you apply your learning.
- A proper, air-conditioned learning environment.
- CPD-approved course attendance certificate.
- A 2-course lunch and refreshments throughout the day.
- A money-back guarantee.
This course lasts one day.
Usability immersion training
- Web Usability
- Intranet Usability
- Software Usability
- 2-hr User Experience Briefing
- Online User Experience training
Usability design training
- Design Thinking
- Web accessibility for developers
- Forms usability
- Axure Essentials
- Advanced prototyping with Axure
- Prototyping mobile interfaces with Axure
- How to write on-line documentation
- How to write an effective Style Guide
- Writing and editing for the web
- Usable mobile applications and IVRs
Usability research training
- Contextual inquiry
- Lean UX Starter Kit
- Introduction to design ethnography
- A practical guide to usability testing
- Build your own usability lab
- Best practice in usability test moderation
- Morae Essentials
- Advanced usability testing with Morae
- A practical guide to card sorting
- How to carry out an expert review
- How to design web surveys
- The CIF for Usability Test Reports
- SPSS Essentials
- Advanced Statistics Using SPSS
Usability management training
- Usability standards and legislation
- Web accessibility briefing
- Cost justifying usability
- How to set and track usability metrics
- Consultancy skills
- User experience as a strategic process